"Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly plants." -Michael Pollan

Monday, October 1

Lentils



Gotta take a moment and pay homage to lentils.

First off, they're a SuperFood, top of the charts with protein and fiber inversely with fat and cost. And they're full of nutrients - iron, B vitamins potassium, folic acid, flavonoids, and more.

And could you find a cheaper SuperFood? Our bag, which yielded about 6 cups, was only $.79!! I wanted the richer red lentils for $3.49, but husband pointed out the brown ones were much cheaper and so we ended up with them instead.

But they were delicious!! After cooking a HUGE batch, I portioned them into 1/2 cup and 1 cup tupperware containers. 1/2 a cup is about 120 calories and makes a perfect topping for salads or just nuked on their own. They have a texture that I just love - sort of chewy and satisfying (I'm a big "chew" person when it comes to texture) yet they're not as mealy as beans can be.

Those of you looking for healthy "to-go" items, make a batch of lentils on a Sunday and you'll have lunch AND dinner for the week! They're great room temp. too, which means they're easy to pack.

I'm going to attempt a lentil salad later this week, so I'll share that recipe when I do.

No comments: