"Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly plants." -Michael Pollan

Wednesday, October 17

In a Funk

I was in a funk all day today. From breakfast thru dinner. I have no idea what it was - if I was having mental trouble at work or if I'm coming down with the bug some people at the office have. I was hungry all day and did not have my normal healthy attitude about food and hunger. By the time I left, my whole back, neck and shoulders were aching and I felt totally drained from head to toe. After deep breaths on my car ride home, a pleasant 30-minute walk with my husband before dinner, a 1/2 an oz of gin (!!), and a fun new recipe, I feel SO much better. I'm headed upstairs to read in bed and hit the sack early.

The Tuna Casserole turned out great!!



My only complaint was that it wasn't a big enough portion to fill a volume eater like me (and it wasn't skimpy either!). Next time I'm throwing in a lot more veggies and baking it longer to bulk it up. Would have been nice over a huge pile of sauteed spinach.

When I first found the recipe, it clocked in at 450 calories a serving. I managed to get it down to 330 calories for each of the four servings! First off, I was using way too many noodles. The Campbell's can said "2 cups cooked" and I had no idea how much 2 cups was in weight, so I made 6 oz which ended up being about 5 cups. We saved some in the fridge and I guessed I actually used 4 oz of egg noodles.

I basically used the recipe on the back of the Campbell's Cream of Celery Soup can (the 98% fat free one):
  • 4 oz of egg noodles
  • 1 can 98% fat free cream of celery soup
  • 4 oz skim milk
  • 2 cans of tuna in water
  • 3 oz chopped celery
  • 4 oz frozen peas (not sure if that's a whole cup like the can said)
  • 7 saltines + 1 tbsp butter on top during the last 5 minutes of cooking


We made it in a pie dish we got for the wedding - perfect vessel for a casserole!



I weighed the dish before I put in the ingredients in and then again after to get 36 oz of casserole, 9 oz per serving. I had 9 for dinner, husband had 10ish, I'm having 5.5 oz for lunch tomorrow, and he's got the rest.



My portion: ~340 calories.



I also had half an oz of gin, which the husband sort of snuck into my virgin "cocktail" of Diet Tonic and lime! I could actually feel it and enjoyed it :)

(By the way, lunch tomorrow is going to be SO yummy! Casserole on an English muffin topped with cheese, kiwi, and homemade cole slaw!)

For dessert I had pumpkin with 3 ginger snap cookies and a little honey:



Total dinner + dessert calories: ~426

This afternoon I had skim milk and goldfish and MORE trail mix nibbles...uggg....again, I could not control myself!!



Total Wednesday calories: 1762

-627
thru 2 walks + workout

=1135 net. Pretty low, all things considered.

Gotta run! Night

3 comments:

Brenda said...

Hey Kath, you should really be netting at least 1200 calories based on your activity level. I think your body is telling you to eat more :) That is a good thing!

Anonymous said...

Aww Kath, glad to hear you're feeling a little better. I'm constantly amazed at how well you're able to maintain your stamina toward eating healthy, varied meals, and working out. Everyone's entitled to a low day...and you survived it without even slipping up health-wise!

KathEats said...

You're so right Brenda. I need to pick it up. I've lost my weight again, so I should probably go back into maintenance - or at least partially.

Thanks Elle :)