"Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly plants." -Michael Pollan

Monday, November 12

Super-Size Me Not

Delicious lunch today!!! A friend and I went to Berry Brook Farms. Berry Brook is a little organic/natural grocery store with a take-out juice bar open for lunch. They have a small selection, but the food is very fresh and healthy. I didn't get a chance to look at the menu beforehand, so I was feeling rather overwhelmed when we got there and there were people in line flying by! I just hate making decisions quickly when I have a lot of factors to think about when choosing something! But I decided to go with what I wanted when I first saw it.....

On a whim, I decided to try the black bean burrito - something I normally wouldn't order because the nutritional info is hard to determine and most tortillas are made with trans-fat, but I knew it would be healthy here. I actually even asked what kind of tortillas they use and when she told me Alvarado St. Bakery I knew I was safe. I started to worry on my way home that the burrito would be super-sized and stuffed with cheese, but much to my surprise it was PERFECT!!! Perfect portions and blend of flavors - I couldn't have made it better myself! And I ate it with a knife and fork to make it last extra long :)



Nutritional estimate:
  • Tortilla - Alvarado, burrito size, 170 calories
  • 1/2 a cup black beans
  • .2 cup shredded carrot
  • 1 leaf lettuce
  • 1 serving sliced black olives
  • 1/4 a cup of shredded full-fat cheddar cheese
= ~400 calories. Kind of high, but delicious!

I also had an apple sliced on the side:



Both for about 500 calories:



Now I have to admit, I'm still a little hungry. I would have liked to have had a yogurt with this. But I guess I just need to be a little hungry - or go have some water because this was a completely well-balanced lunch.

Also got in a 22-minute quick walk after eating. Sweeeeeet!

Morning Snack:

4 almonds at 11 to tide hunger:

No comments: