"Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly plants." -Michael Pollan

Wednesday, November 7

Stress Relief

Salmon Loaf with Lime-Scented Green Beans



Cooking was my stress relief tonight. I was in charge of cooking since it was my recipe, so I had the kitchen to myself (usually there's a man telling me to move over!). The salmon loaves I made required no stress, no searing, no smoke - just putting things in a bowl and then into the oven. It even gave me 45 minutes to make my lunch for tomorrow and clean the whole kitchen top to bottom!! I felt so much more relaxed after dinner. But I'm sure things would have been different if I had been hungry!

The loaves before they went into the oven:



With the lime green beans, pan seared to slightly char:



Together:



Total dinner calories: 300.


Salmon Loaf Recipe

Throw together in a big mixing bowl:

  • 1 can of salmon
  • 1/2 a cup of shredded carrots
  • 1/2 a chopped green bell pepper
  • 10 kalamata olives (~40 calories' worth)
  • 4 oz plain low-fat yogurt
  • 1/2 a cup of quick oats
  • 1 egg + a shot of egg white (or 2 eggs or 2 egg whites)
  • 1 tbsp dijon or honey mustard
  • Dried dill till your heart's desire
Put mixture in a loaf pan (we used 2 mini loaf pans) and bake at 350* for 45 minutes to an hour. We took them out after 45, but I think they could have easily gone another 15. Cut around foil to remove and bang the pan on the stove a few times. They were pretty loose, but husband managed to invert mine with his hands. ~275 calories each!

Afternoon Snack:

I had kiwi, raspberries, skim milk (1/2 c) and some cereal I had at work. Almost 250 calories, but I had them available. Would have left off the cereal otherwise.



Dessert
:

Pumpkin + egg white, with vanilla, brown sugar and a smidge of real butter. It smelled like ice cream! ~105 calories.



Total Wednesday calories: 1761

-576 thru workout and walk

= net of 1186. Sweet!

Off to read Fit From Within in bed....

No comments: