"Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly plants." -Michael Pollan

Saturday, November 10

Disappointing Lunch

Tuna Salad Melt with Green Apple Slices



I was super excited about this healthy lunch, but it didn't turn out as good as it was in my head. Neither was breakfast. Maybe I killed my palate with so much wine last night???

Tuna salad:
  • 1 packet tuna
  • 1.5 tbsp reduced-fat mayo
  • Minced bell pepper
  • Minced carrot
  • Minced radish
  • 1 tbsp capers
  • 5 kalamata olives
  • Squirt of honey mustard
  • 1 tsp pre-made pesto
I topped 2 slices of Ezekiel bread with reduced-fat Swiss cheese (I won't be buying it again but felt I should use it up), and as you can see, it was really just a rubbery tasteless addition of 120 calories. I should have just eaten the tuna with Kashi crackers, which was what I really wanted, but I thought the melt had potential so I went with the experimental option.



Green apple with cinnamon. Note to self: green apples don't hold a candle to red ones. Yuck!



Lesson #1 - if you want the higher calorie cheese, have the higher calorie cheese.
Lesson #2 - I've you're craving Kashi crackers and not bread, have the crackers.
Lesson #3
- Don't ever buy green apples again.

I usually have smaller portions of things so I can eat more variety. I think it's more satisfying to the palate. So my palate was still craving more after I was done, even though I could feel myself getting full.

So I had some pumpkin tea, which hit the spot!



Total lunch calories: 576. (Includes tea and 1 cracker).

I've spent quite a bit of time cleaning the house, vacuuming, folding laundry, etc. so I've given myself a 150 calorie boost for the movement. Still not sure if I'll be going walking, running, or even to the gym. I'm going to see what I feel like doing at 4:00. I've got 445 calories left, which will get me through dinner if I don't snack. So we'll see! I certainly could use a day off.

Our dining room is turning this middle color olive green as I type! Somehow I got out of painting and the husband is doing it all :)



Here are before photos:





No comments: