"Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly plants." -Michael Pollan

Monday, November 26

Cranberry Sauce Recipe

Homemade Healthy Cranberry Sauce



Here's my recipe for cranberry sauce that I posted in the comments. Thought some of you might want to try it!

Recipe:

I use the recipe on the back of the Ocean Spray bag as a guideline and go from there. It says to put the whole bag of berries in 1 cup of water and 1 cup of sugar. Instead of the sugar, I put about 1/3 a cup of splenda. I like my cranberries tart though, so you might want to add more. I've also experimented with a cinnamon stick, vanilla extract, orange juice and cloves. Just add what you like!

So once you have everything in the pot, cook it on medium heat until all the berries start to pop open and spray their gel all around the pot. I usually keep cooking until all the water is absorbed, about 10-15 minutes. Be careful - the pot has a tendency to boil over if you don't watch it! And the berries will splatter as they pop open - you might want to keep a lid handy to partially cover the pot.

The sauce comes out to about 10 calories per ounce when cooked and cooled.

Stir into oatmeal, smother on oatmeal pancakes, or my favorite - as a topping on plain yogurt!


No comments: