"Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly plants." -Michael Pollan

Saturday, October 6

Best Friend, Worst Enemy

I loooooooove wine but I think it's my worst enemy. When I drink it tend to have compulsive eating - where I just want to stuff things into my mouth! That's how last night ended....

After work husband and I went to the Duke Mansion for cocktails with his mother. We had a bottle of wine and I had 1 too many handfuls of the most delicious mixed nuts! I probably only had 1 5 oz glass of wine and guessed about 150 in nuts. No photos, sorry!

Once home, we made Robin Miller's Olive Tapenade Chicken with wild rice and mustard spinach:



Mine was 5 oz of chicken tenders lined up in a row. The tampenade included:
  • 1/2 cup kalamata olives
  • 1/2 cup green olives
  • tbsp capers
  • 2 anchovies
-all pureed in food processor.

Honestly, I didn't like it. I LOVE olives, but this was WAAAAY too salty for me - I could barely swallow it was so salty! I ended up scraping off about 1/3 of the topping. Maybe next time we'll leave out the green olives, which are always saltier.



Spinach was sauteed in a spicy brown mustard, cider vinegar, garlic, honey mixture. Yum!



The romantic setting:



Here's where the compulsive eating started - first I wanted to sample the whole wheat bread we bought. Then I wanted some port. Then ate I 2 ginger cookies (10 calories each, so not much damage), and THEN I had 2 tbsp semisweet chocolate chips!! Can you see why we don't have junk food in our house!?





(The other things went down too fast to get photos!)

Total dinner calories (just the main course) were about 350.

Total Friday calories - nearing 2,000.

I'm 100% sure it was the wine that was urging this compulsive behavior - and the same behavior that I had at the culinary festival. I've been known to eat fine at dinner's out and come home and shove handfuls of cereal into my mouth. I don't eat tons, nor do I do this "binge" behavior on large quantities of horrible food, but I just get a little out of control on my usual staples, like crackers or cereal - or any chocolate we might have in the house!

And of course we're headed to a wine festival today!

No comments: