"Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly plants." -Michael Pollan

Saturday, September 1

Relaxing Saturday

Nothing to do today!!! Well, I do have lots of stuff to do, but nothing major. I got up this morning and had a small banana with half a tablespoon natural peanut butter before I headed to the gym.

At the gym, got in 30 minutes on the Stairmaster (sweatmaster), 10 minutes elliptical and 15 minutes upper body weight lifting. Total calories: 420.

Came home, showered, and had a delicious breakfast of Quaker vanilla, almond, honey oatmeal made with skim milk and topped another small banana and some Fiber One. Also had a husband-made cappuccino! I normally don't eat instant or flavored oatmeal, but I got this kind to try a while ago and need to use it up. It's 160 calories per pouch, which seems like 2/3 a serving of oats plus some almonds, whole flaxseeds and of course, sugar : ( It was quite good though!



After breakfast I headed to the Taj Ma Teeter (giant Harris Teeter) for some groceries. Husband and I are trying really hard to cut back on our grocery spending. Two people in the same household that love to cook = more food than we need. I absolutely LOVE grocery stores and new products, and the husband loves meats, cereal and crackers, so we always have more than enough on hand. I managed to keep this week under $100 but I did also buy a few "long term" items like frozen vegetables, so it should last more than a few days!

I came home from the grocery store to homemade pita chips (they were supposed to be crackers but I call them pita chips) fresh out of the oven. They're made with whole wheat flour, some AP flour, seeds and oil. They were very delicious and I ate more than I should have!



I should have waited longer to make lunch, but it was hanging over me, so I decided to just make it:




Salad:
Baby romaine
Shredded carrots
Bell pepper
Steamed peas
Cucumber slices
1 T bean dip
Drizzled with our amazing Williams-Sonoma balsamic vinegar
And topped with fresh pomegranate seeds!

With my salad I had a Gardenburger Original Griller (baked in the oven) on a Rudi's Organic 100% Whole Wheat Bun (these are AMAZING). Topped it with romaine, 2% sharp cheddar, pickle, ketchup and mustard. And I had a plum on the side : )

Although my lunch seemed huge at the time, I'm probably going to miss some dairy and will get hungry sooner rather than later. But we'll see! I'm having a craving to get out the stand mixer and do some baking. Muffins anyone??

No comments: