"Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly plants." -Michael Pollan

Sunday, September 23

Moving Sunday

I wasn't moving, but my mother-in-law was, so we helped her move into her beautiful new condo all day.

I started the day with a big bowl of oatmeal. I wanted to run this morning, but I was really stiff when I got out of bed around 7:30 and rather hungry, so I didn't know what to do. I finally decided to run this afternoon instead. Good decision? Hard to tell.

Oatmeal:
  • 1/5 c oats
  • 1/2 c milk
  • 1/2 c water
  • 25 grams dried cherries
  • 1/2 c frozen blueberries
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 tsp brown sugar
  • 10 grams sliced almonds
I love the sliced almonds because they've got a great texture on the mouth and you get a lot for about 2 tbsp:





Breakfast calories: about 400.

On the way to the MIL's, I got an iced coffee. I didn't really need it, but it was fun anyway. Sorry no photo, but add 25 calories for the skim milk!

Didn't really get hungry but we ate lunch around 1pm. (Proof that when I'm not bored I'm rarely hungry). We ended up going to my very favorite salad bar: Earth Fare! I got a big salad with a handful of fun items. Sorry, no photo again (I forgot my camera) but I'll tell you the details : )

Salad ingredients:
  • Lettuce
  • Zucchini
  • Broccoli
  • Sprouts
  • Kidney beans (1/4 c)
  • 3 pineapple chunks
  • 1/3 cup of sweet potato salad (this was AMAZING!)
  • A few roasted tomatoes
  • Mushrooms
  • Shredded carrots
  • 1 block BBQ tofu
  • About 7 marinated and briefly cooked baby carrots
  • 2 tbsp olive oil hummus
  • 5 kalamata olives
  • About 6 large Sami's Bakery pita chips (these are soooo good!)
I'm telling you, this salad bar is amazing!!

I also had a few bites of husband's tofu stir fry, 1 piece of a caterpillar sushi roll, and the equiv. of 1/2 a large cookie for dessert (1/4 of 2 kinds).

Calorie estimate: About 600

Still didn't get hungry all afternoon! It's amazing what keeping busy does.

We went for a run when we got home at 4pm. My legs were aching from standing all day and organizing the kitchen/washing dishes, but husband encouraged me to go and I'm glad we did. Except for the fact that my SALAD was about to come back up the whole run! Although it had been a few hours, my salad was (obviously) huge and the veggies with all their fiber weren't digested. Luckily we only did 3.7 miles and I was able to keep the food down : ) It was hot and the run was hard, but 350 calories needed to be burned!

My foot, which I had surgery on 2 years ago, is acting up because I re-introduced my winter wedges and heels. It misses the flats of summer. After being on my feet all day and then the hard run, it's been throbbing all night :(

I wasn't really hungry for dinner (I'm telling you - I'm never hungry on Sundays!) but husband started making it so we ended up eating around 6:30.

It was AMAZING!!!

We decided to make lentils and combined them with some new veggies: turnip and taro. We'd never had either and figured they'd be best roasted. They were fantastic! We put them on a cookie sheet along with carrots and mushrooms and roasted it all for about 30 minutes in 1 tsp of EVOO (yes, 1 tsp is all you need!). The turnip started to caramelize, which made it slightly sweet and so delicious!



Husband cooked the lentils with a big ham bone he had in the freezer. I wasn't a huge fan, as it made the dish much more salty, but he loved it. I added 1 oz of ham to my dish and ended up giving the pieces to him. I'm not much of a meat eater and loved the dish vegetarian!

Lentils in the pot:



Once the lentils were done, we tossed in the roasted veggies. I ended up having 1.5 servings of the lentils (which came out to 250 calories) since I was low on calories (and they're a superfood!) but it would have been fine with the regular serving (170 calories). I added a dollop of plain yogurt to moisten it, as they were quite dry. This meal was AWESOME!! Just my style and perfect for Fall (too bad it was 90* today!).



And it was very satisfying on the palate (meaning I didn't crave dessert right after finishing!)




Dinner calories: 400

Total Sunday calories: ~1500

-350 run and -100 or so for moving and being on my feet doing dishes

= net of 1034. This is insanely low, but I guess I shouldn't eat if I'm not hungry!


Off to bed! I can't wait to have oatmeal again tomorrow morning :)



No comments: