"Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly plants." -Michael Pollan

Friday, September 21

Dining Hall Thursday

Well, I did OK. Not great but OK. And here's why:

On the menu was:
  • Vegetable Stew
  • Rice
  • Brussel Sprouts
  • BBQ Chicken
  • Pasta
  • Garlic Bread
  • Salad bar
  • Sandwich bar
So I decided on the stew plus brussel sprouts in butter (I love BS's but they were overcooked) and some rice. I realize now I should have gotten the chicken, but I'm not a huge BBQ chicken person and wasn't particularly in the mood. I also got a salad topped with a little honey mustard and some club crackers:







Then I decided I didn't have any protein and went and got 2 slices of meat, which I took one bite of and rejected as a waste of calories:



So the vegetables and rice were good, but they left me feeling SO unsatisfied............which led to dessert!!!

I got a slice of cake and had half. I promptly put salt on the other half so I wouldn't be tempted to eat that too (an old trick from my college years!). The icing was REALLY good!! Here's the portion I ate:



Salted piece:



So then here were the leftovers:



I was STILL unsatisfied!!! So I went and got a little ice cream and then ate half of that!!!





My problem was definitely not feeling satisfied on the veggies. I needed something to chew and/or add protein. I should have gotten the BBQ chicken even though I wasn't totally in the mood for chicken. I blame Queens for having too few choices!!

Calories, however, weren't horrible. Here's my assessment, based somewhat on the calorie info online (the stew was supposedly 119 per 8 oz):

Stew 150
Brussel sprouts 80
Salad
Rice
50
80
Ice cream 80
Cake 120

Total (plus crackers) = ~575

Not too bad, but not too good!

Also got in 15 minutes of walking before class.

Total for the day: 1715 calories.
Excellent!

No comments: