"Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly plants." -Michael Pollan

Thursday, August 30

Lunch + Walk

Wish I could post photos with every meal, but I just don't know how feasible that is!

Lunch today was a big, fluffy kaiser roll topped with 2 oz of turkey, 1 slice low-fat swiss, avocado, cucumber and green pepper. On the side I had a HUGE apple, sliced with cinnamon, and a Greek yogurt with some sugar-free raspberry preserves stirred it. And a green tea, lemon :)

I found the most amazing sandwich shop menu in my work kitchen for the Laurel Market here in Charlotte. I haven't been before because the place looks more like a former gas station than a gourmet deli, but the menu has me hooked before I've even taken a bite! Some of the highlights -
  • Tomato Basil: Tomatoes, fresh basil, mozzarella, cracked pepper, leaf lettuce on wheat bread.
  • Kismet: Granny smith apples, brie and walnuts on baguette.
  • Steve Sandwich: Hummus, avocado, red pepper, leaf lettuce, tomato, honey mustard on focaccaia bread.
  • Ham n Cran: Ham, swiss, shredded carrots, leaf lettuce, and honey mustard on cranberry walnut bread.
  • Cheddar Apple Smoked Turkey: Smoked turkey, cheddar, green apple, honey mustard, leaf lettuce on wheat bread.
  • The Capricorn: Turkey, goat cheese, sun dried tomatoes, spinach, vinaigrette on focaccia bread.
  • Uber Pimento: Turkey, pimento cheese, red and green pepper, leaf lettuce on wheat.
  • And for the husband: The Valium aka Italian Torpedo: Salami, capriocola, prosciutto, provolone, green pepper, lettuce, tomato, oregano, vinaigrette.
  • And my favorite but something I probably won't get because it seems to cross the border into "dangerous" foods: Turkey, brie, cranberry quesadilla, toasted and served with tomato and leaf lettuce.

All the bread is homemade from a local bakery. They also have an array of delicious salads. I will definitely be making a trip there soon!! All of these sandwiches are never something I would have considered eating when I was in prime weight loss mode. But now that I'm counting food groups instead of calories as my focus, I can be more flexible with my choices - and I just have to be sure I watch my other meals that day!

Got in a 30 minute walk after lunch. It was warm, but not hot, despite the 90* forecast. Since I had a shorter run this morning, I'll probably take another walk this evening.


No comments: